About the Journal
The Iowa Journal for the Social Studies is a peer-reviewed, electronic journal that provides an outlet for research, best practices, curriculum work, and media reviews in social studies education.
Each issue of IJSS will include work relevant to social studies researchers and educators in K-12 and higher education.
Proposed Call for Manuscripts—Volume 27, Issue 1
The editors of the Iowa Journal for the Social Studies, a peer-reviewed electronic journal, issue a call to submit manuscripts for the inaugural issue. This is an open call for proposals that feature research, conceptual and theoretical work, curriculum and lesson plans that have been implemented in the K-16 classroom, and media reviews related to social studies education.
CFP posted: January 1, 2017
Submissions due by: April 1, 2017
Submissions sent out for review: April 5, 2017
Reviews returned: May 1, 2017
Author revisions submitted: May 15, 2017
Publication: May, 2017
Submissions from all social studies disciplines as well as from interdisciplinary perspectives are eligible for publication. Each submission will be refereed using a double-blind peer review process. All submissions should be formatted in Microsoft Word and submitted via email to the editor (email@example.com).
Manuscripts must meet the following requirements to be sent for review:
- The manuscript must be void of author(s) name and institution(s).
- Submitted in Microsoft .doc or .docx format, using Times New Roman, size 12 font, double spaced with graphics provided in a separate document.
- All graphics, tables, charts, and other images must be included in a separate document. Please note in the manuscript where the image will be placed.
- Formatted according to the most recent edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Manuscripts that do not comply with APA format will be returned without review.
- An abstract of 150 words or less and a maximum of five keywords.
- Manuscripts should be 2,000 to 5,000 words in length, excluding the abstract, references, and endnotes. Articles submitted for the “Teacher Feature” and “Resource Review” sections may be 1,000 to 3,000 words.
- If necessary, please use endnotes instead of footnotes.
- All manuscripts must be written in English.
The email submission must include:
- A biography for each author of 50 words or less (this can be included with the separate title page).
- As a separate file, provide the abstract, complete manuscript, and references, in Microsoft Word format.
- A separate file for images, tables, and charts. Please indicate in the body of the manuscript where tables, charts, and images should be placed.
- A statement in the body of the email that confirms that the manuscript includes original work, meets submission guidelines, has not been published elsewhere, and is not under consideration by another publication.
- Indication in the email message of the section the manuscript is being submitted for: Theory and Research, Conceptual and Curriculum work, Classroom Practice, Teacher Feature, Resource Review.
Web address: https://iowajournalsocialstudies.wordpress.com
Please direct questions to the IJSS Editor: Dr. Jason Harshman, University of Iowa (firstname.lastname@example.org).